8/20/2014

My Homemade Orb Chandelier!


I am in love with these orb chandeliers.  I bet you are too.

When I keep focusing in on something, I realize that I really love it and would love to have it in my home...but always I want it the cheapest way possible...if I can find the space for it.
Initially, my deep kitchen window held a table lamp. Then I made this hanging basket light. We have ceiling can lights and this light is mainly ambient lighting. Then I remembered that I had this tiny orb from Hobby Lobby...That got the ball rolling!
I also knew I had a tiny three light chandelier. If I could marry the two, I could have my Orb Chandelier! Yeah!
Well here it is! I had to drill a hole in the orb for the wiring to come out the top and a tiny hole for the crystal at the bottom. I had to take apart the chandelier to be able to fit it into the orb. It was a challenge to put it back together with my short fingers, but I did it.
Who knew that I would use my 1970's macrame skills again. I used jute and tied the half knot that automatically twists over the cord. This orb hangs from a hook in the window ceiling and drapes across the side of the window...
This leads to a plug-in outlet that has a timer and it's the perfect ambient lighting at night.

After I put the chandelier inside the orb, I realized that I needed to paint the white fixture a gray color to better match the orb. I just used a small brush and dabbed on gray chalk paint. Then sealed it with spray on sealer.
I know it's small but it packs a punch and looks so cute!
Goes to show, if there is a WILL there is a WAY!
Since this posting, a valued follower of Forever Decorating! graciously brought to my attention that my stained glass window hanging behind the new orb light was competing.

I took it down and she was so right. Thanks for the fresh eyes and the guts to tell me.


Photobucket
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Monday
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple 
Motivate Me Monday @ It's A Ginger Snap 
Make it Pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter 
DIY'ERS @ Home Coming 
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
Creative Link Inspire @ The Crafty Blog Stalker
Your Designs This Time @ ElizabethJoanDesigns
Inspire Me Monday @ Domestically Speaking
Tuesday
Project Inspired Linky Party @ Cupcakes and Crinoline
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home
The Makers Link Party @ Upcycled Treasures
The Inspiration Board Link Party @ Homework
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
From Dream to Reality @ The DIY Dreamer
Tweak It Tuesday @ Cozy Little House
The Scoop @ Cedar Hill Farmhouse
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 
Tuesdays at Our Home @ Our Home Away From Home 
Awesome Things Tuesday @ Sowdering About
Be Inspired Party @ Elizabeth & Co.
Wednesday
Vintage Inspired Link Party @ Knick of Time
Before & After Wednesday @ The Dedicated House
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design 
Adorned From Above Party @ Adorned From Above
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Work It Wednesday's @ The Happy Housie
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
Centerpiece Wednesday @ The Style Sisters 
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
Link'N Blogs @ Put A Bird On It
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts
Thursday
Under $100 Link Party @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Link Party Thursday @ Bloom Designs Online
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch To Yours 
Project Pin-It @ Glitter Glue and Paint
Create It Thursday @ Lamberts Lately 
Link'N Blogs @ Delineate Your Dwelling 
Wildly Original Wednesday @ I Gotta Create!
Thrifty Life Thursday @ Revisionary Life
The Homemade Hangout Linky @ Too Much Time On My Hands
Friday
Inspiration Gallery Link Party @ The Golden Sycamore
What To Do Weekends @ Crafts A La Mode
Fabulously Creative Linky Party @ Jennifer Rizzo
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Design It Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Flaunt It Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Creativity Unleashed Link Party @ One Project Closer/The Better Half
Inspire Me Please @ Liz Marie Blog
Freedom Fridays @ My Turn For US 
Shabbilicious Friday Link Party @ Shabby Art Boutique
Junkin Joe @ The Cottage Market
Catch as Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life
Saturday
G'Day Saturday Link Party @ Natasha In Oz
Any Link Goes Party @ Bacon Time With The Hungry Hungry Hypo 
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello 
Serenity Saturday @ Serenity You
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ I love Nap Time 
Sunday
Share It One More Time @ One More Time Events
That DIY Party @ DIY Show Off
So Darn Crafty Party @ Sew Many Ways
Think Pink Party @ Flamingo Toes
Sunday Show Off Linky Party @ Twigg Studios
DIY Sunday Showcase Linky Party @ VMG206
Seasonal Sunday @ The Tablescaper
Monthly
Every Room In The House @ A Joyful Cottage
Get Your DIY On @ The Hankful House

13 comments:

  1. This looks awesome.. Yes, I love those orb lights and for you to make your own... Kuddo's to you.. Awesome job!
    Please join me at my blog and my newest projects. Thanks again for sharing.
    hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your chandelier! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GIRL !!! get a pen and paper and take down my address .. SO YOU can ship it to ME !!!! LOL love love love it. YOU did an amazing job. Sherry @ The Rusty Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable! Kudos on using what you already had! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorable! Kudos on using what you already had! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well…you were really determined and it paid off - very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FABULOUS job! Love it!

    Judi in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea, I love it! Thanks for sharing at the Vintage Inspiration Party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving it! Especially evening shot- so cozy!
    xx
    Mila
    milawayable@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like RH junior! I love it, and that you married two things you already had around. So glad you came to Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday Linky! Have a great Thursday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's perfect for the space and so creative! But, given your design, there is no reason you can't go larger whenever you want to, if you can find the right components. I so admire people with skills like yours -- you are so fearless too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out great! I never get tired of the orb chandeliers! I made one, too.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10