7/27/2015

How I Solved Problems with My Curtain/Windows

The Dilemma:

First, since a man built this house, he didn't realize the issues with putting a window directly in the corner against a wall.

Plus, with it being a window seat, there is no head room for curtains to be installed inside the recessed area!

And, there are two identical windows on opposing walls in this living room.

After much thought, I custom ordered cellular blinds that I installed under the transom windows...


Mistake!


I then made stationary drapes to soften the look. I really liked the look of these and they accentuated the tall 10 foot ceilings and huge crown moldings.

My mistake was that the sun comes in these window transoms since they face east and west.
I would position the furniture so that we wouldn't have to suffer the bright sunlight in our eyes while watching TV. I also installed window glazing on the transoms which helped a little, but not enough. I guess I should have made the blinds go all the way from the top down, but I didn't want to lose the look of these transoms. After all they are cool and 75 inches across.

On a side note, we just ran across a repurpose store in Springfield, IL and hubby fell in love with this long window house!
Not me mind you, but he just had to have it...with my blessing. I thought it was neat but am trying to not buy everything I see that I love. I am trying to learn to 'love things from afar'.
To solve this 'sun' issue, I finally determined that I would make faux roman shades form the left-over fabric I used for the drapes and attach them to the window tops with Velcro.
Problem solved even though I am hiding the transom windows, but I still have this view when I look out the front...

Photobucket
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Monday
Make it Pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple 
Show and Share Party @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday
Show & Tell Party @ Flamingo Toes
Project Inspired Linky Party @ Cupcakes and Crinoline
The Inspiration Board Link Party @ Homework
From Dream to Reality @ The DIY Dreamer
Tweak It Tuesday @ Cozy Little House
The Scoop @ Cedar Hill Farmhouse
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 
Tuesdays at Our Home @ Our Home Away From Home 
Be Inspired Party @ Elizabeth & Co.
Wednesday
Vintage Inspired Link Party @ Knick of Time
Fall into Fall Wednesday @ DIY by Design 
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Work It Wednesday's @ The Happy Housie
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants

Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
Thursday
Link Party Thursday @ Bloom Designs Online
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch To Yours 
Create It Thursday @ Lamberts Lately 
Wildly Original Wednesday @ I Gotta Create!
Home Matters @ Life with Lorelai
Share Your Style @ Common Ground
Friday
Handmade Hangout @ From Gardners 2 Bergers
What To Do Weekends @ Crafts A La Mode
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Flaunt It Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Creativity Unleashed Link Party @ One Project Closer/The Better Half
Freedom Fridays @ My Turn For US 
Shabbilicious Friday Link Party @ Shabby Art Boutique
Junkin Joe @ The Cottage Market
Fabulous Friday Party @ Simple Nature Decor

Saturday
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello 
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal

Sunday
Share It One More Time @ One More Time Events
That DIY Party @ DIY Show Off
So Darn Crafty Party @ Sew Many Ways


14 comments:

  1. You certainly came up with a great solution...looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever solution and it looks lovely! The room and the view are beautiful!
    Lynda @ Gates of Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is lovely!!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stoppng by from Cozy little Home. This is just lovely!
    ~Kimberly E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming over from Make It Pretty Monday...pretty solution to a difficult problem! The room is beautiful and I love the long glass house too! I would stand and look out at that view all day too - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your solution. I have one to offer up as an alternative if you get tired of this one. Faux stained glass. Yep, up high like that you are hard pressed to tell it from authentic stained glass. Look it up online. It is not expensive and is a real charmer. Note that you an use a zillion different applications. There is one that looks like frosted glass with the leading. That would let more sun in and not look too busy if that happens to suit you. I love you space, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks really beautiful Terry! You sure so have some mad sewing skills--
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the exact same problem as you had...I didn't know that they are called transom windows...so I have already learned something today and it is very early in the morning! I also LOVE your window house!
    Eilis@MyHeartLivesHere

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terry, your windows are beautiful and so is the view. Glad you could solve the light issue. We have a bay window w/ seat in our living room. The west sun comes in. We didn't want the heavy drapes that were here when we purchased this house, so we had the film put on the windows. It has helped keep the sun from fading our furniture while allowing us to have the window open to the view.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you did! The faux blinds look like they were meant to be there! You're so good at deciding what to do. Your room looks lovely.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great solution, Terry.The shades you made look lovely. Way to problem solve!
    Hugs
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your shades are really pretty Terry. I like the mix of the two. Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terry, what a pretty fix. The room is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the fan features at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/08/the-sunday-showcase-from-make-it-pretty.html Have a lovely evening. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Terry! Wanted to let you know that the Weekly Feature Series is live for one more chance for you to shine. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/08/weekly-feature-series_15.html Have a lovely Sunday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10