12/28/2010

1880's Window Turned Mirror

While visiting family in Kansas, my sister toured us through an old 1880's farmhouse that was getting a restoration. There was a stack of old windows on the ground and I asked my sister if she could get me one. The cool thing about this window is that it has no nails. It is made with mortise and tenon joints...meaning they interlock with wood pins.

I also picked up three shutters for $1 at a garage sale that happen to be the right length as the window. I asked hubby to combine them with crown molding at the top and a shelf at the bottom so I could turn this old beauty into a wall mirror.  Here is how it turned out.

A split chair leg, 25¢ at a garage sale was used to embellish.

What did I do with the leftover shutter? Made it into a shelf.
Remember, you can click on each picture to enlarge. Click again and it will get larger to see the detail. Use your back button to return to my blog. Terry

I'm linking up to these parties:
Susan's Met Monday
Cassie's Piece of Work Wednesday
Kathleen's White Wednesday 
Gina's Transformation Thursday 

12 comments:

  1. Looks amazing Terry :) I love free stuff don't you? And the shutters for $1 can't be beat. I just love all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Terry....the mirror is so pretty. I need a new mirror in my powder room because the one that came with the house is not very nice. At all. If my DH (dear husband) and I could make something like that for our powder room, I would be so happy!

    Thanks for another amazing post :D
    xoxoxo
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. May your New Year be filled with many Blessings and abundances of Joy for 2011. From my mountain to yours, Until next year
    Hugs and Smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terry that mirror is fantastic! Happy New Year, and thanks for stopping by. Would love to see you again. I am going to poke around here a bit, I love your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful mirror, you did a fabulous job with it's makeover!!! I also like what you did with the leftover shutter too! Thanks so much for sharing! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool, Terry!!!!! What a neat idea!!! I just love it! You're a very clever gal! I'm keeping my eyes out for old windows from now on.....Happy WW to you ~~

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mirror looks great, and the shutters were quite a find. Thanks for stopping by for a visit.
    Happy New Year
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that mirror redo! What a bargain for those shutters!
    Blessings~
    Gwenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I can't believe you found the shutters for a buck! Lucky find.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous! Amazing transformation. You are so creative!
    Happy WW
    Roselle

    ReplyDelete
  11. That turned out so cute...love how you used the chair parts to add more dimension.
    Happy New Year!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  12. How very creative! Excellent use of those old windows, which already look pretty nice to begin with. The finished mirror and shelves look very pretty with the window.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10