7/07/2012

Mirror Mirror on the Wall




Do people not have vision? Or do they just not like to do the work?

I don't know which, but I had picked up an antique oval mirror at a garage sale and basically did nothing to it, but put it in my antique mall booth. 

No one wanted it after months of being displayed and a priced decline.
That told me that I needed to bring it home and give it some love! Here is the before picture of the mirror...
See all the pretty detail of the roses around this mirrored frame?
I painted it with Annie Sloan Old White Chalk paint and instead of waxing it, I used Polycrylic sealer since I was afraid of all that Annie Sloan wax getting into the crevasses and not being able to buff it out.

I took this square mirror that I had painted white and added 'Welcome' in vinyl to my booth and it sold FAST. So it goes to show me that people want it finished so they don't have to.
To replace the void on the wall, I put the oval one there. It really bounces light off the lamp and ceiling lights in the evening to give more light in this hall.


It's working for me! Or at least I thought it was! If I could make the sound of a needle scratching a record here I would. Why? Because I only thought this was good. I am currently repainting and decorating my large blue guest bedroom and this faux fireplace was put in here when I redid my master...
I moved this for painting and was thinking I would sell it in my antique mall booth because I have had my fun with it. Hubby mentioned that he liked it, so that put my mind to thinking of a new location. How about at the top of the stairs in the hall? Yep, we moved it there, and I used the oval mirror in the center of it to help reflect the light from the lamp and NOW I think it 'really works'!
Don't you? Yes, I know I move things around in my house A LOT!!!!!




Photobucket


These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Party Time @ It's So Very Cheri
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple  
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage 
Creative Blogger's Party @ Homemaker On A Dime
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Cowgirl Up Link Party @ The Farmhouse Porch 
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home
Knick of Time Tuesday @ Knick of Time
The Inspiration Board Link Party @ Homework
Turning the Daunting Into Doable Tuesday @ Project Queen
Just a party for my Peeps @ How To Nest for Less
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Time to Shine Tuesday @ A Diamond in the Stuff 
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Trash 2 Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Northern Cottage Party Tuesday @ Northern Cottage
Be Inspired Party @ Elizabeth & Co.
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Cottage Garden Party @ Fishtail Cottage
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm 

Rock N Share Wednesday @ The Shady Porch
Wildly Original Wednesday @ I Gotta Create!
Show and Share @ Lil Pink Pocket 
Link Up Wednesday @ Junk in their Trunk
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants

Show & Share @ Southern Lovely
Show Me Extraordinary Thursday Party @ The 36th Avenue
Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Creative Things Thursday @ The Vintage Farmhouse
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage

100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Blog Stalking Thursday @ The Crafty Blog Stalker
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense

Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
American Pickers @ Savvy City Farmer
Inspiration Friday @ At The Picket Fence
Free For All Party @ Five Days, Five Ways
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Any Link Goes Party @ Bacon Time With The Hungry Hungry Hypo 
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello 
Serenity Saturday @ Serenity You
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal 

Overflowing with Creativity @ It's Overflowing
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn 
Sundae Scoop Weekend Wrap Up Party @ I love Nap Time 
Sunday Blog Love @ Cherished Treasures
So Darn Crafty Party @ Sew Many Ways
Sunday's Best Wrap Up Party @ My 1929 Charmer


20 comments:

  1. I does look lovely now that you painted it, Terry and looks perfect for that space!

    Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry,
    This happens to me too when I try to sell something that I haven't painted or tweaked. I think your mirror looks great now and I love it inside the frame. Lovin the pot lids on the wall too. Your home is so lovely.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this mirror....did the varnish "yellow" over the chalk paint? I painted a tabletop with ASCP, and varnished it with a clear minwax poly and a month later I noticed it yellowed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful! I love where you put the mirror too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this beautiful mirror and your decorating ideas. I'm excited to be a new follower. I would love if you stopped by to check out my baby design ideas and followed me back at www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep. it works, I find there is very few things that I can just put in my booth, I think they don't have vision and then if they did...They wouldn't know how! Love the idea of adding the vinyl to the mirror, I'm going to try that!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Gotta love ASCP!
    {found you on the Blog Hop and am a new follower!}
    rusticanthology.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this looks so lovely and must make quite a statement when you look up from the bottom of the stairs. Love the mirror!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks beautiful! You are a smart decorator!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think in general when people shop in antique stores, they want a finished, home ready product. They go to flea markets, thrift shops, or yard sales to find bargains that they can fix up. That's my experience anyway. I would have something in my booth...it didn't sell...take it home and paint it white...raise the price...it would sell. Go figure!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely perfect now, Terry! I liked the vignette before, but I love, love, love it with the fireplace and the mirror layered within the vintage mirror frame!

    I just found you through Knick of Time. I'm the guest blogger there today and thought I would take a bit of time browsing Angie's sponsors. I'm glad I found you and would love to have you join me weekly for my linky party - Time Travel Thursday. It would be wonderful to share your creative talents with my readers. ;)

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks wonderful in it's new coat and it's new location! Perfect.

    I find that most people DON'T have vision or ambition. If a seller doesn't want to have to change anything with a piece, then you have to create a vignette to highlight it's character so people can see it's potential, otherwise, you have to paint it or change it's purpose to make it desirable. People are "funny."

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous! i love the mirror in white- so plain pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I have the same problem at my shop, people don't have time to redo anything, so they want it done and will pay the extra for it, yours is beautiful, love the mantel room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you did with your mirror and yes it definitely works! I have two oval black/gold mirrors--sounds ugly, but they work for now. I loved your idea of adding the vinyl lettering to yours. I'm thinking I may have to borrow that idea. I also see you are a lost lid collector! I only have 3, but I love them and have them hanging on my wall mixed in with a few plates. They just add a little something to the mix.

    Cathy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the lamp in front of the mirror!

    Make sure you stop by and share this at my Flaunt It Friday link party.
    Can't wait to see more posts.
    http://www.blissfulbucketlist.com/2012/07/flaunt-it-friday-4_12.html

    Sarah@
    www.blissfulbucketlist.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was meant to be for the oval to be in your living room. I really love the lamp in front of the mirror and the way the light reflects off of it. Very pretty! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes! I love the layering effect - gives it so much depth.
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my goodness!!!!! I love how you hung those lids on the wall. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the pitcher collection. I can't walk past one without at least picking it up. People definitely don't want to do the work.

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10