7/02/2012

New Mud Room!

I am so excited to show you my  


        New Mud Room.

It came about quite by accident. You see, the builder added a walled in room off the original two car garage that has access via a doorway from the garage, a doorway into the house (laundry room) and a doorway to the outside. This room is about 14 feet long by 7 feet wide with very high ceilings.

Initially, we used this room as a "Tool Room" to house our tools and do projects in. But that was before the additional new two car hobby garage was built.






To the left is the new hobby garage, to the right it the original two car garage with 'tool room'.
This the the little breeze way between the old garage and new garage.

I did not want to take a picture of this room as the tool room because it seemed to always be a mess and 'stuff' was everywhere even with us being an organized couple. Just too many projects I guess. Anyway, we did take everything out and put it neatly in the new hobby garage and this is the before picture of how we got it from the builder who lived here for the first 5 years of this houses life. Let me tell you this was crammed with tools and project stuff!!!
Looking out to the outside and to the new garage.
 BEFORE
Looking in from the outside to the door that leads into the laundry room. The doorway to the right goes into the original two car garage. The shelving was put up by the builder when he lived here.
So now here is the New Mud Room reveal...
This is looking out towards the new garage from the door leading into the house. I wanted it simple and easy to keep clean and organized. I had my young and cute, handy dandy handyman come and put beadboard and trim up about 6 1/2 feet on the walls. I then painted the upper walls with Sherwin Williams North Star. It's a gray-blue color and very soft. The beadboard is painted white. I then painted the concrete floor with Benjamin Moore's - gray timber wolf color floor paint.
This is a view from the outside looking in. The gray cabinet was purchased at Menards and houses the tool batteries, caulk, paint and winter work coats. All things that have to be stored in here so they won't freeze in the winter. This room doesn't get too cold in the winter.
Let's not forget the antique settee that I redid just for this room and you can see more on that HERE.
It conveniently sets right next to the rack of shoes...
Notice that I did a stripe treatment that was so easy at the top of the wall. I just put a band of blue painter's tape (2") where the ceiling meets the wall. I then put a band of  1" blue painter's tape an inch down from that. I painted over the tape with the white ceiling paint to seal it so it would not bleed the blue paint under it. After that dried, I just rolled on the blue paint, pulled off the two strips of blue painter's tape and I had perfect lines with no bleeding! The ceiling is white but looks blue in this picture.
I had a 10 foot 1 x 6 board installed so I could add hooks for hanging coats and hats in the winter.
 Of course I had to decorate this room with something fun, so I chose a bird theme.
I added the vinyl saying, "Bless this Nest" today...in keeping with the theme!
These birdhouses were made by my hubby for me. We used old hardware to embellish them and I painted each differently. This was a tradition we had going for a while...until I got too many.

I bought this just for fun!

In keeping with organized and useful, I found this 'box' at a garage sale for $1. I painted it white to match the beadboard and attached it to the wall under the outlet that has to be placed high by code. Hubby put the architectural piece under it just for looks.
Now it is useful to hold the battery charger while in use and hold some keys to the shed and new hobby garage.
Here is a side by side look at the Before and After! Fresh, Clean and Organized!







Photobucket

These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Party Time @ It's So Very Cheri
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple  
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage 
Creative Blogger's Party @ Homemaker On A Dime
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Cowgirl Up Link Party @ The Farmhouse Porch 
Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home
Knick of Time Tuesday @ Knick of Time
The Inspiration Board Link Party @ Homework
Turning the Daunting Into Doable Tuesday @ Project Queen
Just a party for my Peeps @ How To Nest for Less
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Time to Shine Tuesday @ A Diamond in the Stuff 
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Trash 2 Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Northern Cottage Party Tuesday @ Northern Cottage
Be Inspired Party @ Elizabeth & Co.
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Cottage Garden Party @ Fishtail Cottage
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm 

Rock N Share Wednesday @ The Shady Porch
Wildly Original Wednesday @ I Gotta Create!
Show and Share @ Lil Pink Pocket 
Link Up Wednesday @ Junk in their Trunk
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants

Show & Share @ Southern Lovely
Show Me Extraordinary Thursday Party @ The 36th Avenue
Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Creative Things Thursday @ The Vintage Farmhouse
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage

100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Blog Stalking Thursday @ The Crafty Blog Stalker
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

Fridays Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense

Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
American Pickers @ Savvy City Farmer
Inspiration Friday @ At The Picket Fence
Free For All Party @ Five Days, Five Ways
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Any Link Goes Party @ Bacon Time With The Hungry Hungry Hypo 
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello 
Serenity Saturday @ Serenity You
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal 

Overflowing with Creativity @ It's Overflowing
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn 
Sundae Scoop Weekend Wrap Up Party @ I love Nap Time 
Sunday Blog Love @ Cherished Treasures
So Darn Crafty Party @ Sew Many Ways
Sunday's Best Wrap Up Party @ My 1929 Charmer





35 comments:

  1. Congrats on a job well done! You mud room is adorable - wish I had a space like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is a wonderful space! I'm a bit jealous of mud rooms and nice laundry rooms. I try to not let it make me bitter! You've got some prime garage space there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic, Terry, and what is in the new garage? :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry,
    WOW looks amazing!!!!! You did fantastic job.Love all the finishing touches.Love that special paint treatment(stripe)you did!
    ((Hugs))
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Huge difference!!! I just posted our Mudroom demolition :) I hope mine looks as good as yours!!! Come see the bare start :)
    Found you at the Between naps on the porch linky party.
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. I more than a bit jealous over your wonderful mud room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this mud room..it is so pretty. I especially like the strip on the top of the wall, nice touch! And this is perfect for your new bench!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...this is an awesome room to have...and it is decorated adorably!
    Just found you at the Between naps on the porch linky party.
    I will be a new follower, just as soon as I am done with this comment...and look forward to digging around your past post's for a while!
    Sharon
    Hope you'll stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your mud room. That bench is fantastic!! Enjoy! Megan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Like your bird theme as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome mud room! Im in love with the wall stripe, great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job! What a pretty space. Visiting from Domestically Speaking.

    Have a great 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful mud room. I have mud room envy hehe! Love the bead board, color, you just did a tremendous job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the new space. The before and after is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! I am dreaming of of mud room. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's lovely! I think we all would love that extra space for storage and keeping all the things that don't have a place!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the mudroom. I am a new follower can't wait to read back through your blog.
    Regards Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful use of this room.
    I have to say my favorite part is the 'charging station'. We are always charging something...so I have surfaces and plugs filled up with batteries and their chargers. ALL OVER THE PLACE! This is perfect. A ONE STOP SPOT FOR ALL YOUR CHARGING NEEDS! ...AND KEYS!
    Perfect.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI! I just found your blog through Domestically Speaking's Power of Paint link party and love the mud room transformation! I have always wanted a mud room to catch boots, coats and, well, mud! LOL! I used to have a little bench like yours too! Bought it in the 80's, never redid it like you did (it looks fantastic!) and finally sold it at a yard sale a few years ago. I hated to part with it but there just wasn't a spot for it in this house. Now see, if I had a mud room it would have fit! LOL! I'll be following your blog and looking forward to reading more fun posts and admiring more lovely photos. Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! It's just lovely! Love the blue, and all the organizational ideas! Great job. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore your new mudroom! It's so pretty that I would be afraid to get any mud in it at all! It's bright and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's beautiful! Wish we had the room to create a mudroom.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I bet you love your new mudroom - so pretty and functional at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. AWESOME! I want it! Love the bead board and bird houses!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your new mud room, it is just gorgeous! I'll be featuring it tomorrow :)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your mud room is gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I love the nest theme and bird houses. I love the shoe rack, no more shoes everywhere!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW!!! LOVE everything! The blue and the birds are so sweet... and the white. It's totally inspiring!

    I host a weekly link party and would love for you to join us! You can link up all (Heart)&(Home) projects at www.mercyinkblog.com

    have a fab day!
    lauren @mercyINK

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful! It turned out great! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! This is such a perfect space! Love it! I'm sharing this on my features post this Saturday! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful! I dream of a house with a mudroom...because without one every room is muddy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous Terry!!! I love your mudroom and I think the color you used might be the color I'm looking for to paint my bedroom. I'm so glad I found your blog and now I'm your newest follower. I hope you'll stop by and visit me too.

    Have a great week.
    Hugs…Tracy @ Cotton Pickin Cute

    ReplyDelete
  32. How clever of you to use an old tool room and it turned out just beautiful! I have this linked to my mudrooms and entryways post too today, well done!

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10