3/23/2011

Another MacKenzie Childs Inspiration Piece!

Yes, I painted another MacKenzie Childs inspiration piece today. When we were in Kansas last week, we also went to some antique and thrift stores...how could I not? Anyway I found an aluminum cake cover with a glass tray for only $3. I couldn't pass it up and knew that I could do something fun with it. Asked many times how I paint this way, I free hand everything and make it up as I go along. If I am painting something inspired by the MacKenzie Childs designs, I open their catalogs before hand to get inspiration...then just start painting. It just flows out of me, a true God given talent since I am self taught. The varnish is not even completely dry on this piece yet, but here it is.
My newly painted cake cover with my hand painted teapot and a TJ Maxx plate.
Before
The varnish is not even dry before posting this picture!
Cake Cover with Glass Platter that came with it.

UPDATE: This cake cover was sold on ebay.

NOTE: You should be able to click on most of the pictures to enlarge to see further details.
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Make It For Monday @ Cottage Instincts

Thrift Share Monday @ http://apronthriftgirl.typepad.com
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle 
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Time to Shine Tuesday @ A Diamond in the Stuff 
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
 Trash 2 Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage

Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

Remodelaholic Friday @ Remodelaholic
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest

Look What I Found Friday @ Vintage Revivals 
VIP Party @ Designer Garden
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage  
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Strut Your Stuff @ The Saturday Morning Blog
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal 
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
 
It's Party Time @ So Very Cheri

34 comments:

  1. That is beautiful, Terry! Do you do all the black and white checks freehand? You've inspired me to maybe {just maybe} try painting a little old round side table I have. Nothing fancy, but definitely with some black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job~ Your cake cover is so charming and you did a great job on the painting!! Love the nest in your little urn on the counter too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, you have done a beautiful job!! I'd say that is a God given talent for sure!! Blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful! I used to paint a lot...I believe you've inspired me to give it a try again. You have such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your talent and creativity! Your kitchen is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry, I like yours better than any of the MacKenzie-Childs cake carrier patterns. I wish you worked for them in product development!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. It goes so well in your kitchen too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terry you are one TALENTED lady!! I love it! Martina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Over from WUW and you did wow me.. amazing. You really have a lot of talent.. It looks great. wish I could do that. Your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow that looks amazing it must take you ages to paint theres so much detail. but wow what a difference ;-) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it. I'm a huge MC fan, but rarely opt to pay those prices. Love your transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lord have mercy. That is the cutest thing ever! You are absolutely uber talented. Not to mention I am still drooling over your red checked backsplash!!Lori L

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute...great recycling project and so versatile, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terry, This is the cutest cake cover ever! My DIL loves Mackenzie Childs and she would flip over this. Thank you so much for sharing this at my party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. How talented you are!!
    Oh my goodness!
    I am amazed! Self-taught! It IS a gift from GOD!
    :)
    And your kitchen is beautiful, too!!
    Love me some red! And checks! YUM!
    I am gonna go vote for your watermelon propane tank!
    *giggles* that is so cute!
    ~me

    ReplyDelete
  16. You definitely have been blessed with a beautiful talent! When I saw the cake cover in its original state, I was flooded with memories! My grandmother used to have that exact cake cover set! The bottom plate was made from the same material as the cover. It had little tabs that pushed in over the rolled bottom edge of the cover that held it together tightly. Ooooh the yummy goodies we would find in there every Sunday when we visited! Your remake of the cover is just beautiful. Thanks for reviving the wonderful memories for me today. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Terri,
    You did a fantastic job on this piece!! Stunning!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your inspiration pieces. Your kitchen is beautiful and I love the way you have decorated your home. I am your newest follower...please come by and visit with me and would love if you are entertained enough to follow me as well. Looking forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is beautiful! I'm a MC fan and have been for years. I used to go into a local store that carried their things and just swoon. I think you really captured the whimsy of their designs and put your own stamp on it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your MC inspired cake cover is just adorable! What a great whimsical transformation, Terry.
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I adore your cake cover~ swoon!

    I am currently hosting an auction of vintage and antique linen treasures. Stop by and take a peek.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I just lost my comment, but wanted to say thanks for linking up your fabulous creations!
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh that is darling! You're so talented! I'd love to have you link this up to my VIP party today =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just stopping back by to say thanks so much for sharing this at FNF! Love this whimsical piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so talented! This is amazing! I love Mac Childs!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are very talented and did a beautiful job.
    I love your kitchen!
    xoxo
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for linking up! Hope to see you again next Friday =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've put together a round up of nifty kitchen projects on Craft Gossip today and included your post. :) You can see it here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/6-nifty-kitchen-projects/

    If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  29. You did a fantastic job on the cake cover! I also love to paint in MC style. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10