3/04/2011

MacKenzie Childs Placemat Inspiration

It would be an understatement to say that I adore everything MacKenzie Childs...especially Courtly Checks. I wanted their placemats that look like this...
But I didn't like the price of $60 for 4, plus shipping. I also liked that they are a hard surface, with a cork bottom and easy care.  I have four of these kind of placemats that have roosters on them, but I wanted to switch things up and have something different. And I didn't want to paint on my rooster ones. The moment came when I was at the thrift store an ran across two of these placemats for 50¢ each.

Ugly, Right? I thought so too. But these were the good cork bottom placemats that I wanted, even though there were only 2.  Heck, we are empty nesters, so two is all I really needed for this project. So I cleaned them, lightly sanded them, primed them, painted them and sealed them. Here is my version of MacKenzie Childs Placemats...



And the total cost...One Little Ol' Dollar + my time and paints. As a side note for all you MacKenzie Childs lovers, I have categorized all my MacKenzie Childs Inspiration Projects in the lower area on my right sidebar.

NOTE: You should be able to click on most of the pictures to enlarge to see further details.
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Make It For Monday @ Cottage Instincts
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Strut Your Stuff @ The Saturday Morning Blog
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn

17 comments:

  1. Great idea. I do enjoy your style. I like to get inspired by different ones then put my own spin on it as well. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well....you know I love these!!! I wish I had some of them, too, but with Dear Eldest Daughter going off to college....so not going to buy them. I have painted some place mats before out of heavily gessoed canvas, and I have problems sometimes with the edges curling-up when I wash them if I'm not careful. Your idea of painting over the cork-backed mats is brilliant!

    I am going to the craft store to buy some ribbon later today...I hope to make a pretty tassel later :D

    xoxoxo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--these look great! Now I'm off to visit the rest of your Mck-C projects! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I can't believe you created exactly what you wanted for $1.00!!! Good for you, they look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also am inspired by MacKenzie Childs but you actually act on your inspirations-great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them and love MC too. I just did a table inspired by her. The table I was mimicking sells for $3300....yikes....wish I could get that for mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I think these look perfect and the money you saved was so worth it.
    http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that little pic on Under the Table and Dreaming and knew it was going to be you! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw these over at the Sunday Showcase and had to come visit. Love Mackenzie Childs stuff ( but not the prices!) You have done some amazing projects including this one! Now following ( and likely um "creatively appropriating")

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! I'm a new follower! I'd love for you to follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mc's courtly check has always been a fav. Own just a couple pieces but really enjoy their catalog. You did a very nice job with the painting. I found a smaller cotton print very similar, to cover bar stools. Just splashes of the check here and there make me happy. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them with your plates! So pretty!
    Check us out at
    www.juiceboxdreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them. Not surprising because I love Mckenzie Childs too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know I love these! I did the same with cork back coasters!

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10