3/31/2011

Double Frame Wall Art

Ever wonder what to do for inexpensive wall art? If you are a savvy shopper at thrift stores or garage sales, you will come across frames at very low prices.  Here's a peek at what this post is all about.
Do you want to know how I created this? Okay...here's what I did.
First, gather your two frames. In my case, I had a black 12 x 12 frame that I purchased on clearance at Hobby Lobby for pennies on the dollar. I picked up a pretty 4 x 6 frame for $1 at our local thrift store. It was gold and I spray painted it an heirloom white. 

I then got a sheet of scrapbooking paper. I used a punch to put the decoration on the black paper that was layered across the center of the 12 x 12 piece of paper.  This was all glued to a piece of cardboard and placed in the larger frame.
Now it was time to decide what I wanted in the smaller frame. I decided that I would design a name/monogram on the computer. After creating it and printing it off, I framed it in the smaller frame. I used Command Velcro-like picture hanging system. I even got it on clearance for only $1.97.

The beauty of this system is that this smaller frame can be pulled off, the picture changed out, then re-attached by matching up the Velcro-like strips and pushing firmly. (By the way, this is the system that I used to attach an old vintage frame on top of my guest bathroom mirror.) You can see that post HERE.

It looked like this before I attached it to the middle of the larger frame.















Almost done! Just center on the framed paper and press firmly. I didn't have a piece of glass for the larger frame, but it would have worked if I did attach it to glass as well as this paper.

So now, the question is where to hang it! I have just made personalized, inexpensive, almost instant art for under $10! Isn't that Great!

Use your creativity. Add ribbon and other embellishments. This would be a good project for burlap. A family picture would be fun too. Match it to your decor. It takes a small picture and makes it more impressive because it comes out much larger and more interesting than just a framed picture. 

NOTE: You should be able to click on most of the pictures to enlarge to see further details.
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Make It For Monday @ Cottage Instincts
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle 
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Time to Shine Tuesday @ A Diamond in the Stuff 
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Trash 2 Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage

Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage

Delightfully Inspiring Thursday Party @ Delightful Order
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

Remodelaholic Friday @ Remodelaholic
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest

Look What I Found Friday @ Vintage Revivals
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Strut Your Stuff @ The Saturday Morning Blog
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal 
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
 
Sundae Scoop Weekend Wrap Up Party @ I love Nap Time 
VIP Party @ Designer Garden  

19 comments:

  1. That looks great, Terry! What a great idea and it really makes more of an impact with the two frames. I love the name/monogram, too. Everything works together so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just found your blog and it's great! I love this double frame theme. The monogram is perfect! I'm a new follower so will be reading more and I look forward to getting to know you.

    Stop by and say hi when you can!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! You are the idea guru, Terry! I think this needs to be your bloggy alias, the Idea Guru!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I'm inviting you to link to my Delightfully Inspiring Thursday Party. http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/2011/03/delightfully-inspiring-thursday-party-5.html
    DaNita

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! Your frames turned out so cute!!!
    -emily
    nestnestingnested.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this. I am pretty crafty in the kitchen but depend on others for the fun stuff to decorate my house. Cute, cute....can't wait to make one!
    http://cricketscafe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is lovely!!! Well done :-) Happy Friday Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea - I like your suggestion of using scrapbook paper! A few weeks ago I did something very similar in our family room: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/2011/03/family-room-update.html
    Stop by sometime and thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never would have thought of it - but I love the double framed idea! Especially like it in the black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your monogram frame!! A great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great idea!!! I love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is GORGEOUS. So classy. I would love for you to link this to my VIP party today =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a cute & clever idea. My mind is spinning with ideas. I really like your table to clock face ideas, too. I wonder how many of those little round particle board tables I've gotten rid of over the years? Not any more!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a cool idea! I love it - thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this! What a great idea! May I feature this on my blog, giving you full credit of course? Let me know!

    framefanaticblog [at] yahoo [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ditto everyone else before me, LOVE IT!! I just love the whole monogram and you can never have enough, right? Question for you....what computer program did you use?
    Thanks for sharing, it is just awesome!!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  18. I featured this!!

    http://jenerallyspeakingblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/few-craft-projects-i-cant-wait-to-try.html

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10