2/23/2011

Adventures of A Desk

Here's a hint on what you will see in this adventure!
I thought that since I have shown you my friends dining room...(you can see it here) That I would tell you the adventures of the desk in this post.

I found this desk at a garage sale and it looked like this (right). (The quality of the picture is poor since it was taken a long while ago and I didn't have a good camera at the time)

It was already painted like this, however I noticed when I bought it that it not only had dove-tailed drawers, but they were made of oak instead of a cheaper secondary wood. That was very unusual. It even came with the glass to protect the top...another bonus.

This is going to sound weird, but I usually let furniture 'talk' to me about what they want to become. Meaning, I mull it over in my brain and think about the lines of the piece, the quality of the piece and where the piece will be used. Okay, so maybe the furniture doesn't talk to me, maybe I mold IT into what I want it to be.

So I decided to painstakingly strip it down and discovered that it was solid Walnut with the top, sides and drawer fronts a beautiful burled mirror image veneer. My heart sank since I so wanted to paint it. Hubby suggested that I paint the areas that did not have the burled veneer since it was so beautiful.  I took his suggestion even though I figured people would say I was the crazy lady that painted beautiful solid walnut.





Ahhhh, a better camera took these.


After having it for a few years, I sold it to my friend. It is probably by far the nicest quality desk I have ever come across. And it's a beautiful, functional piece of furniture.


NOTE: You should be able to click on most of the pictures to enlarge to see further details.
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Make It For Monday @ Cottage Instincts
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Strut Your Stuff @ The Saturday Morning Blog
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground The colour of Spring Be Inspired
Before & After party @ Thrifty Decor Chick

24 comments:

  1. I love it...what a statement this piece makes!

    great job! 8>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! I love all the little details. I'd love to see it on my weekend linky party! http://www.lovelycraftyhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the details are gorgeous! Beautiful Job!

    dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That desk is beautiful and I love what you did to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! the details are wonderful. Your blog looks lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! this is my all time favorite of the pieces you have done. gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry,
    2 weeks ago i was a posh store I saw something similar for $4500.00
    The details on yours are amazing..

    Don't forget to add this project in our linking party where every Wednesday we showcase projects for our readers to discover.
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/02/colours-of-spring-be-inspired-linking.html
    Thank you,
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an amazing piece! Absolutely stunning, you were so smart to keep the lovely veneer. What a talented artist you are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Terry, you did an amazing job! Thanks for sharing and for your inspiration.

    Enjoy your day,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love it. You did a great job! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good decision. It would have been a crime to have covered that lovely walnut up with paint. The areas you did paint are so pretty, and they compliment the walnut very well. I especially like the green paint you used. Awesome!

    xoxoxo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGoodness!That desk is gorgeous. Whan I first read that you stripped it down, I thought "Oh no!" It was pretty the way you found it. But oh my, it is beyond gorgeous now. . . You have a beautiful piece of furniture. I know what you mean about letting the piece "talk" to you. . .that is exactly what I do before I re-do a piece of furniture. Thank you for sharing your beautiful desk. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful. It's so obvious that you spent a lot of time and love to make it just right. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGoodness this is cute! I am currently trying to decide what to do with my desk. What it wants to become has not spoken to me (yes, I do it too)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is stunning!! I would love to want to put that much effort into projects, but I'm just too lazy. I do love living vicariously through others over-achievements!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terry,
    Thanks so much for coming to my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY with your beautiful makeover.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. This reminds me of a desk I found. When I removed the paint, I found a beautiful Birdseye Maple veneer. You did a great job. It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. amazing, beautiful job. good call hubs! i usually want to paint everything too, but you did a great job showcasing the burled walnut and adding interest to the rest of the piece! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my gosh, what an interesting piece! i love the way you painted each of those knobby bits on the legs, and kept the wood. right on!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love what you did. What kind of paint do you use? The painted parts look so well finished!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful desk and such creative painting. That was a whole lot of time spent but well worth it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow your one patient lady! All those details in all the nooks and crannies... great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just an amazing piece. I love your paint creativity. The wood is beautiful. Thanks so much for linking up with VIF!
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10