2/14/2011

My Stairwell Story

When we moved into this home, the walls were white. I don't like white walls and I also don't like to paint 20 feet up in the air either. So, I figured a way to use a stencil with scallops that I could 'cheat' two foot down the wall from the ceiling in this tall stairwell and it turned out great. It was still high painting but I made it work.
Stencil painted two foot down from ceiling.

Here you can see the scallop of the stencil I used so I won't have to paint the complete wall. No painting where the walls meet the ceiling.

Some are family and some are not.
I filled the walls with heirlooms and instant ancestors. Take a look...
This is my grandma and her brother ages  5 and 1 1/2 years old. Grandma passed away at 93 in 2011 and her brother is 88 and still living. I treasure this the most of anything I have.

Instant Ancestor! LOL

These are wedding pictures of my grandparents, great grandparents and great-great grandparents! Notice some of them have black wedding dresses.

These are quilt squares that my ex-husbands great grandmother made from old white tobacco sacks and left over material from her children's clothing. This is an heirloom I am saving for my son who has no interest in having them or the history of them...yet!

Some collections - tassels I have made, vintage trays that I display on an antique header.

Here you can see the scallop well again.
This was a bit awkward to take pictures, but you get the idea. This area also is just a fun place to display my family and instant ancestors. Terry

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful...beautiful job. I love the scallop you did...and the pictures are priceless.

    Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your ideas - especially your 'instant ancestors'! Brilliant!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, this might be my very favorite part of your house you have posted so far. I think the scalloped stencil is so pretty. And to have so many family pictures and heirlooms....to me, that's what makes a house a home. My favorite part is where you have all the wedding pictures hanging together. The instant ancestors made me LOL! DId you hand paint the word family or did you get it from wallwords?
    I bet people linger in your stairwell looking at everything!
    ~Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is beautiful.
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I love the stencils, the scalloped edges are beautiful...great ideas. have a wonderful valentines day. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of your old, family photos and the lovely way you displayed them!

    Amanda
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to keep from having to paint a*l*l the way up! I have a simiar stairwell. I like how you have decorated it. It's hard, isn't it?

    Love your old family photos.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks very nice. I love picture grouping on stairwells.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did such an awesome job. It looks just great. Thanks so much for stopping by and joining the party. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas, I love it, absolutely beautiful:-)
    Hugs, Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from The Shabby Nest. What a special collection you have! I love old family photos. Your stairway looks fantastic.
    Jen
    Scissors & SPatulas

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really nice. What a lot of work to do the stenciling! I have the same picture frame as you - the white oval one on the top left. Mine was black and I painted it heirloom white, had glass cut for it, bought a mat and put in one of my own photos. Your stairwell makes for a great conversation topic for guests :-)

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10