2/27/2011

My Exercise Room Tour

What do empty nesters do with all their space?

We love our home of 8 years. It is larger than we need but we try to repurpose every room so that we use the entire house.  Our formal dining room is now our study (where I blog) and you can see that post here. And now our grown daughter's old bedroom has been repurposed into our Exercise Room. That still leaves us with two guest bedrooms and when both kids and family comes to visit, if we need more sleeping room, I can just put down a blow-up mattress in this new exercise room and still have four bedrooms.

Before I show you pictures I must tell you that my daughter is very creative...the apple didn't fall far from the tree, as they say. She painted a 'feature' wall in her room green. Then  she took chalk and drew free hand flowers on the wall. She then painted the flowers black for a silhouette look. Then she washed the walls to get any chalk off and put a second coat of black on the flowers.  I thought she did an outstanding job for an 18 year old at the time. She is now 20. So I decided to keep this wall. I painted the other three walls a tan-ish green to tie in better to this feature wall. She had painted the other three walls a peachy tan.

I purchased curtains at Wal-Mart. I cut off the hem and used black with beige circle fabric and added a ruffle. This lengthen the premade, too short curtains, personalized them and gave them some character. I also used green ribbon sewn down the sides to tie in with the feature wall. On the feature wall my daughter added circles, so that is why I picked the fabric used in the ruffle at the base of the curtains.

Lastly, this room has great built-ins, thanks to the foresight of the builder, since it is a small room. It has a built-in dresser with entertainment center area. Double closets and a built-in bookshelf cabinet. This allows for more usable floorspace for other items than the normal stuff.
Feature wall..dresser that is my daughters that I will blog on later. Notice cool old floor lamp that I found at an antique store and got a deal...$15! Garage sale high end mirror $25.
Daughter painted the free hand drawn flowers on the wall.

Wall of built-ins.

Curtains are re-made and FREE garage sale chair I painted and upholstered for my daughter.

Base of curtains.

Our elliptical in front of the built-in bookcase.

Clock face decor set on moss in an antique wooden bowl.

Vintage 25¢ garage sale checker board with clock face in front.

Purchased clockface on the right (eBay) from Hungary.

Daughters collection of old cameras. She hasn't moved everything of hers out yet.

Folkart game board that I purchased unpainted at an antique store then painted to make it more interesting.
NOTE: You should be able to click on most of the pictures to enlarge to see further details.
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Make It For Monday @ Cottage Instincts
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground 
Creative Girls Blog Hop Friday @ The Girl Creative
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Strut Your Stuff @ The Saturday Morning Blog
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
Marvelous Mess @ Marvelously Messy

15 comments:

  1. Love it! Guess you'll want to spend time in there now!!! Love built-ins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the clock face decor. Very cool! I would love it if you would link this up to my blog party, A Marvelous Mess!! One project from each party will be featured on my sidebar for a week!! Here is the link:
    http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/02/marvelous-mess-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the exercise room. What fun it must be to have a whole house to do what you want to. I am still looking forward to some day soon having an actually guest room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great! what an inspiring space to work out in, with those flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah!! What a cool room! I would enjoy working out in there :)

    PS- I'm doing my first ever giveaway on my blog and I'd love for you to come enter! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-giveaway-and-introducing-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this room. Great work on the curtains.
    Looking forward to reading more of your blog. Found you via ABC.
    x Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great built-ins for sure. Love the huge flowers on the wall. Nice space for getting or keeping in shape while surrounded by vintage things to keep your creative mind going as well.
    Blessings ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!! Did you paint those giant flowers. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty room to work out in! I'd almost want to hit the elliptical, almost. Love the drapes, the chair, and those gorgeous flowers! Are they painted, stencils, vinyl, or sharpie? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's Pam again, just creeping around. Love this idea of clock faces in the bookcase shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.

    Coolroom Shelving

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for such a nice blog and I love this idea. I need to share with my friends.
    Keep it up dear.....

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10