10/16/2011

Little Toile Stool & Funny Ad!


I have re-vamped a little stool with paint, tassel fringe and bird toile fabric. I think it turned out really cute and reflects my taste and style.

I originally purchased the material from Ballard Designs on clearance for either some pillows or a to make a new valance for my bay window in the dining room. However, when looking for something to use to upholster this stool, I decided to use
this lovely toile.
This is how the stool looked when I acquire it. It was ragged and tired. I decided to try to use the needlepoint in a frame instead since the outer areas were worn. I painted the base a charcoal color and decided to jazz up the upholstery with the tassel fringe that I had on hand.
On to the funny ad that was tacked to the under side of the original stool. Here is what it looked like.
An August 1943 magazine cover with this ad below on the back.
It is an ad for Ry-Krisp. It states to G,et rid of fat...pitch in, help win (the war)! Reduce the Ry-Krisp Way. It goes on to demonstrate three women.

The first one is lying, exhausted looking, on a chair. It says, Mrs. A is fat. She volunteers for war work, then drops out because excess fat drains her energy. (This would NEVER go over in our today's advertising.)
 The second woman shows a lady behind a work desk for war ration books. It says, Mrs. D is slim. She cleans, shops, cooks, is a volunteer war worker. She stays slim and keeps in trim the Ry-Krisp way.

Finally, the third one shows a woman at a dinner table. It says, Mrs. S has always been slim...and Ry-Krisp has always been her family's favorite bread because it tastes so good.

I hope you got a good chuckle out of this ad the way I did :)

NOTE: You should be able to click on most of the pictures to enlarge to see further details.
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Party Time @ It's So Very Cheri
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Creative Blogger's Party @ Homemaker On A Dime
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle  

Knick of Time Tuesday @ Knick of Time
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Time to Shine Tuesday @ A Diamond in the Stuff 
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Trash 2 Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage

Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage

From Trash To Treasure Thursday @ Alchemy Fine Living
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence

Blog Stalking Thursday @ The Crafty Blog Stalker
Cottage Flora Thursday @ Fishtail Cottage  
Show & Share @ Southern Lovely
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

Remodelaholic Friday @ Remodelaholic
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest

Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal 

Any Link Goes Party @ Bacon Time With The Hungry Hungry Hypo 
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
 
Sundae Scoop Weekend Wrap Up Party @ I love Nap Time 
Sunday Blog Love @ Cherished Treasures

25 comments:

  1. That is just so adorable! I love that toile, with the fringe.
    Great job on a charming little stool!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ad is a capital "H" for Hysterical! omg.... so glad times have changed. lol Your stool is adorable....especially love the trim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, that ad IS hilarious! It's a treasure. Stick it in a frame. I do love your cute stool, too! andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cartoon. That is way too cute. Your little stool is absolutely precious. I love your fabric choices and the tassels. Perfect. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little stool turned out so cute.
    The old ad is funny. It sounds as though those crackers were the answer to losing weight! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your little stool transformation, Terry! I have fabric I love just sitting waiting for the perfect project, too. This toile suits it perfectly and I love your tassel fringe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your toile footstool, Terry, it is gorgeous. You did a beautiful re-do on it. I look forward to returning to see more of your projects. I am now a follower and hope you will join my followers list as well and grab a blog button. Hugs, Gayle.
    http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post! It turned out great and gorgeous colours. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! And the old ad cracks me up! I guess I need Rye Crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, that stool turned out fantastic!!!! I loved the ad...gotta love the Ry-Krisp!!!!!! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the stool. I too collect stools, foot or sit upon. I think I will go through my bins of fabric, for a quick fix.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny ad, Terry, and great job on the stool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the new look of the stool! Also loved the ad oh how that wouldn't go over today, there would be riots. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terry what a find with the magazine ad!
    The stool is lovely too. I would frame the embroidery as well, and it turned out lovely.
    I have a bird pillow that is very similar, my fabric I believe is Waverly.
    You did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great transformation on the stool! I love anything with toile.
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the stool makeover and the ad is hilarious. The trim on the stool is perfect. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous stool transformation!

    And the ad is just too cute...what a great find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Popped over from Kim's Wow us Wednesday. I really have to compliment you on the recovered stool, it's a wonderful transformation :o)
    Goodness, the ad certainly wouldn't go down well now!
    Best wishes
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the little before and after stool. Did you keep the ad dated 1943 thats even before me LOL

    love you choice of material and I have just now gotten into needlepoint

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey I just wanted to let you know that I am featuring you today.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  21. That stool is so classy looking now! I have a little one similar to that, but I never really thought about putting fringe on it. Thanks for the idea. I could see that needlepoint pillow made into a pillow. Maybe cut it into an oval shape and add it to a background with trim and fringe--could be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really do love this stool. I will be featuring it tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That turned out beautifully. Good job. Thank you so much for sharing and linking up to our party Show and Share. Make sure to come back this week and link up your latest projects. We would love to see them.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10