4/29/2011

Map It!

Recently I picked up a table for $3. I see a reoccurring them here with $3 tables (see a post HERE on more refurbished $3 tables)!

I did a post that you can see HERE with my Diamonds In The Rough! features. It's where I go to garage sales and then show you what treasures I found. I then refurbish the items or decorate with them and show you the after.

This is the before of this table...the one on the right side.

Initially, I said that this would be a great table for a TV on top and with an added shelf inside, it would be perfect for storing electronics like a DVD player, etc.  Due to my love for how this came out, I am going to keep it at least until the new wears off, so-to-speak. I have no need for a TV stand because we have built-ins that hold our TV's or they are mounted on the wall. Therefore, this is just a cute table located in our exercise room for now.

Everything you see in this picture except for the flying angel came from a garage sale.
Huge Ornate Framed Mirror - $25 - I painted it black
Antique floor lamp - $15 - I rewired it 
Table - $3 - I refurbished it seen in this post
Gold frame with antique baby cabinet card photo - $2 - different garage sales, I put them together
Old books - 25¢ each - great used in displays
Glass canister - 50¢ - I added the old white buttons
Picnic Basket - $2 - I painted the top with roses
Flying angel or cherub came from TJ Maxx
Flowers came from Hobby Lobby but the urn you can't see came from a garage sale
I talked (in the Diamonds In The Rough! post), about how this must have been some kind of desk or enclosed cabinet, because there are signs a door was hinged at the bottom and opened up from the top down. This door was missing, so I made a shelf that is removable. I painted the shelf and inside a fun green color that I received free in the mail as a sample from Valspar. It goes well here with the green wall behind it too.


Also, you will recall that the veneer on the top was completely ruined. So I quickly removed it with a heat gun and putty knife. In it's place I decoupaged an old National Geographic map of the northwestern U.S. I purchased the map on eBay for framing but used it this way instead.
 It means something to me because it has the state that I live in, as well as, my son and other family members locations.



The oak on the sides, back and legs were in pretty good shape, so I just glued where it was loose, sanded it down and wiped a stain on the whole piece before sealing it. Don't you think it turned out unique and fun at the same time?

NOTE: You should be able to click on most of the pictures to enlarge to see further details.
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Party Time @ It's So Very Cheri
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Creative Blogger's Party @ Homemaker On A Dime
Making The World Cuter @ Making The World Cuter
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle 
Twice Owned Tuesday @ House Of Grace
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

Time to Shine Tuesday @ A Diamond in the Stuff 
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Trash 2 Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Power Of Paint @ Domestically Speaking
Swing Into Spring Wednesday @ DIY by Design
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Piece of Work Wednesday @  Primitive & Proper
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage

Open House Thursday @ No Minimalist Here
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
100 Ideas Under $100 @ Beyond The Picket Fence
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

Remodelaholic Friday @ Remodelaholic
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest

Look What I Found Friday @ Vintage Revivals
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Strut Your Stuff @ The Saturday Morning Blog
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal 
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
 
Sundae Scoop Weekend Wrap Up Party @ I love Nap Time 
Before and After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick


18 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful. Love the map. Such a creative idea. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, it looks great! I love the shape and I adore maps! Great score, Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. The table chair and decorations looks absolutely great!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome to decoupage the top with the old map! Love it!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry I love that you used a map on this table! Great idea and it turned out fabulously! I'm thinking maps for a lot of things now... Good thinking!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to use the map,Terry! It took me a minute to realize it was there {I'm still drinking my morning coffee!}, but it will definitely be a table that will get some second looks or double takes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your map doesn't quit go north enough to include all of my favorite part of the world for me, but it's still the mid west and I'll take it! Nice job on the redo. The map colors are beautiful.
    Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet table--I love your vignette with the picnic basket--all looks romantically-vintage! Patty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you have done and the table with the map is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Terry, this is such a great makeover. love the map, you did a super job! Thanks for linking up with VIF, xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm visting from the Homemaker on a Dime blog party and LOOK! You are also BEFORE me in the list of participants! LOL! Great job on this piece. Love the map, you did a beautiful job.
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just saw this at a flea market over the weekend, except it was an old blue school map...I like your aged map much better! This is a cute piece of furniture, too. I just bought 2 old tables and can't wait to "play" with them.......silly job gets in the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks fantastic! i love anything with maps, but how special that it has the state that you live in! those legs are great-what a fab find and great idea to map it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did not know you could remove the veneer like that! LOVE the use of the old map -- the whole display looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a unique idea and I'm gonna so copy this! Thank you for sharing this at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea, putting the map on top! I love how it is a muted color map, too so it keeps the table neutral! You could use it anywhere!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Terry - what a wonderful idea - the map looks fantastic! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this {sunday}. Hope you are enjoying your week ~ Stephanie Lynn
    www.bystephanielynn.com

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10