5/20/2015

Legless Dresser with a surprise!

This is one of those projects that came out better than expected.




The finished plan was in my head, but as I was working on each step, more and more evolved.




I think it's going to lead a very rewarding second life.





I found this dresser at a garage sale last year...
The poor thing had no legs and the upper drawers had originally had two knobs each but someone converted them into a single glass knob. Plus, some veneer was chipped. I still saw the beauty of the bowed front and lovely brass antique pulls, also the cool ornate keyhole cover.

I let it set all winter and scratched my head with the dilemma on what I would transform it into. I realized that it may work nicely as a coffee table or TV stand. As luck would have it, my daughter and her little family needed a coffee table, so I had her in mind as I was transforming this piece.

I stripped the top because I thought it would look better with the oak showing. I didn't bother trying to get out the stains since it led to it's history. I stained and sealed the top and painted the body with Annie Sloan French Linen.

Of course, I did all the veneer repairs first however, there are actually two surprises. The first is that I attached nice big wheels to this for a couple of reasons.

Initially, when I thought of my daughter's needs, they have a reclining sofa and need to easily push the table a bit further out of the way when reclining. Also, since it didn't have legs, I wanted something 'different' and after all, wheels are cool; wheels are IN!
I finished off the insides of the drawers by decoupaging old sheet music to the bottoms.
So, are you ready for the last surprise?


                                              Okay, here goes...









I have been admiring Miss Mustard Seeds painted dressers. I knew that if this was used as a coffee table that the back would be exposed and it was rather plain. Therefore, I painted a Tree of Life on the back with AS Old White. This certainly gives it some interest, don't you think?
Photobucket
These parties I love to link up to or check out my Blog Parties tab
Monday
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple 
Inspire Me Monday @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Sunday Showcase Party @ By Stephanie Lynn
Creative Link Inspire @ The Crafty Blog Stalker
Your Designs This Time @ ElizabethJoanDesigns
Show and Share Party @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday
Project Inspired Linky Party @ Cupcakes and Crinoline
The Makers Link Party @ Upcycled Treasures
The Inspiration Board Link Party @ Homework
From Dream to Reality @ The DIY Dreamer
Tweak It Tuesday @ Cozy Little House
The Scoop @ Cedar Hill Farmhouse
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 
Tuesdays at Our Home @ Our Home Away From Home 
Awesome Things Tuesday @ Sowdering About
Be Inspired Party @ Elizabeth & Co.
Wednesday
Vintage Inspired Link Party @ Knick of Time
Fall into Fall Wednesday @ DIY by Design 
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Work It Wednesday's @ The Happy Housie
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants

Centerpiece Wednesday @ The Style Sisters 
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
Thursday
Link Party Thursday @ Bloom Designs Online
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch To Yours 
Create It Thursday @ Lamberts Lately 
Wildly Original Wednesday @ I Gotta Create!
Home Matters @ Life with Lorelai
Share Your Style @ Common Ground
Friday
Handmade Hangout @ From Gardners 2 Bergers
What To Do Weekends @ Crafts A La Mode
Fabulously Creative Linky Party @ Jennifer Rizzo
Show And Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Flaunt It Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Creativity Unleashed Link Party @ One Project Closer/The Better Half
Freedom Fridays @ My Turn For US 
Shabbilicious Friday Link Party @ Shabby Art Boutique
Junkin Joe @ The Cottage Market
Catch as Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life
Fabulous Friday Party @ Simple Nature Decor

Saturday
Weekend WrapUp Party @ Tatertots and Jello 
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal

Sunday
Share It One More Time @ One More Time Events
That DIY Party @ DIY Show Off
So Darn Crafty Party @ Sew Many Ways
Think Pink Party @ Flamingo Toes

13 comments:

  1. What a GREAT transformation! Loved that you put wheels on it and gave the "bask" some interest...Very Cool!!! Best ~ Mickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Perfect solution for the back. The wheels are perfect too. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a great idea! It came out fabulous:)
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful! Luv wheels (as you know bu a few of MY projects!), the tree is an unexpected fun detail, and I'm crazy about the bowed front! Wish I would've found it! I'll bet someone detached it from the top of a two-tiered dresser--
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually ingnore the backs of things when painting, but I like how you added some interest. Allows the piece to be placed in the middle of a room if need be. Great thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a beautiful job! Love the painted tree, love the new life you have given it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love how you lined the drawers.
    Here from #HomeMattersPArty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your transformation of this piece. What a great surprise on the back. Great idea.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you did to this. What a beautiful piece of furniture. Thank you for linking up at #HomeMattersParty this week.. Looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a great great idea putting the wheels on the dresser, hope to see you at Fabulous Friday Party
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

It makes me smile to hear from you!

09 10